A Breakthrough Blindness Treatment Will Cost $425,000 Per Eye, If It Works
A transformative blindness treatment for a rare, inherited form of blindness will come with a price tag of of $425,000 per eye, or $850,000 for both, said Spark Therapeutics Inc., the tiny biotechnology company that is bringing the therapy to market.Since Spark’s Luxturna was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration last month, speculation over the price has grown as it became clear the therapy would be one of the first in a wave of medicines that yield remarkable results after a single treatment — and would carry a commensurate cost.
New Way to Pay
The company’s effectiveness-based discount is sharply different from how most drugs are currently sold. Health insurers are also used to paying for medicine over the course of a disease or over a patient’s life, in the case of some chronic conditions.
A one-time treatment presented a challenge, since the cost would be paid for by one insurer or government, only to have others reap the benefits when the patient changes coverage.
To help mitigate that dynamic, Spark is rolling out several programs to spread out the cost over the years or give rebates to payers if the benefits wane with time.
For example, the company said it’s discussing a program with the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services that would spread payments for Luxturna over several years, even though the therapy would be given only once. It didn’t say how many installments would be made, or how long it would take to pay the full cost of the drug.
In an agreement with the Boston-area insurer Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Spark will get the full price of treatment up front. If patients don’t get an immediate benefit — measured at 30 days, or a long term one — measured at 30 months, Spark will have to give some of the money back in a rebate.
Spark has also proposed selling the gene therapy directly to insurance companies or specialty pharmacies. That would sidestep the current process that requires hospitals or health care providers to buy expensive therapies upfront. Spark is working with Express Scripts Holding Co. on such an arrangement, and said it’s talking with other drug plans.
Express Scripts has been a frequent critic of costly drugs, yet said that the Spark treatment is an exception.
“Many people were anticipating this would be more than a million dollars” said Steve Miller, the St. Louis-based company’s chief medical officer. “In the end, this is a revolutionary product, and I think in most plans this will be covered.”
Spark’s biggest challenge may be finding patients to treat.
Of the few thousand people with the disease, only a few have actually been tested and confirmed to have it, since there was no cure, and thus little use in diagnosis. Many with more advanced forms of the disease won’t qualify for treatment, according to the company.
Hyperbiotics Organic Prebiotic Powder – Promotes Growth of Good Bacteria while Supporting Healthy Digestion, Weight Loss and Metabolism (with Jerusalem Artichoke and Acacia Fiber) – 375g (54 servings)
Coupons available for this offerView more coupons
- Add all products described in the promotion to your Shopping Cart in one of two ways:
- Click the Add both to Cart button in the promotion description.
- Click the Add to Shopping Cart button on each respective product information page.
- The promotion is valid for a limited time only. Amazon and the seller reserve the right to cancel it at any time.
- If you do not purchase the qualifying items added to your Shopping Cart when the promotion is in effect, the discount will not apply.
- The promotion applies only to qualifying items displaying the offer message on their product information pages.
- The promotion applies only to products sold by the seller indicated in the offer message. It does not apply to the same products sold by other sellers. For example, if the promotion applies to cookware offered by Amazon, the same cookware offered by other sellers on the Amazon website do not qualify.
- Unless the promotion indicates otherwise, it applies to the lowest priced qualifying item.
- All qualifying items must be purchased in one order and shipped to a single address.
- If you return any of the promotion items, we will subtract the discount from your return credit.
- Shipping and handling charges apply to all products.
- Add-on Items require a minimum purchase. See amazon.com/addon for details.
- This promotion may not be combined with other offers, including promotional certificates.
- Does not apply to orders placed with 1-Click.
- Offer good while supplies last.
- Void where prohibited.
- If you remove any of the promotion items from your Shopping Cart or violate any of the Terms and Conditions, the promotion will be invalid, and the discount will not apply.